Monday, January 02, 2006

More Bangs, Less Whimpers

Maybe I should go to work drunk tomorrow. Otherwise I'm not sure how I'm going to get through the day. I've always been envious of people who take long vacations and come back to work energized. Me, I just seem to hate going back even more the longer I'm off.

First full week of playing mucho poker went well. Really well. The encouraging thing is that I'm not even running all that particularly well, especially the last few days. I have to say I'm pretty intrigued with the whole propping thing. It may not last, as those programs apparently come and go pretty frequently, but between the two sites I'm propping at I should be able to clear $2,000-$2,500/month in just prop payments, assuming everything maintains the status quo. Which is encouraging in and of itself, but it's also relatively low variance, as that doesn't require playing any higher than 10/20. The fact that a lot of it is heads-up and three-handed play does amp up the variance, but not so much when you're churning through tons and tons of hands, as things tend to smooth back out somewhat.

It's interesting, too, how quickly your perspective can change. A month ago I would have cringed at the thought of playing 10/20 heads-up but now I almost prefer it over full ring, as it's easier to punish lemurs for being stupid. 'Tis frustrating, though, when people pull hit and runs, taking a big pot or two early and then immediately fleeing the table. It also sucks a bit as far as propping rules that you have to get up and leave the table when it fills, as sometimes you're stuck but have no choice but to get up and leave the table. Which actually might not be the worst thing, come to think about it.

Going to try to keep my nose to the grindstone and play as much as humanly possible, especially while I still have the safety net of the day job, as far as psychological freedom to not overly worry about producing good poke rresults, plus to pad the bankroll as much as possible for Escape from Monkeytraz on March 15.

No comments: