Thursday, July 06, 2006

So Very Grindy

Wait, are people going to Vegas or something?

Many thanks for feedback on the hand I posted yesterday, including emailed thoughts. If I had it to do over again, I think jamming pre-flop is likely best, as the BB has already displayed a love of calling with craptacular cards, and there's a good chance he'll come along with all sorts of hands I'm ahead of. If he folds, so be it, and at least I'm not faced with difficult decisions like I was on the flop.

I find those situations interesting, especially when you're fairly deep in a tournament with a M in the 15-20 range. I've had success of late being a bit more patient in those spots than I have in the past, and not necessarily lumping all my chips in when I'm likely ahead, but not by a huge margin. Or, more accurately, only lumping all my chips in in those spots when I'm the aggressor and possibly have some fold equity. And yeah, there's definitely danger in playing too much the tightbox and missing your spots to pick up chips, but it can swing the other direction as well, as far as being too eager to lump it all in with marginal edges, especially if you know what the hell you're doing and most people at the table don't.

Of late I've mostly been playing NL and MTTs, which has been a nice change of pace. I've been getting a little burned out from the limit grind, as there are fewer and fewer spots where I actually stop and engage my brain on an active basis. Not so with the others, though, especially MTTs.

I've been a good monkey and getting a crap-ton of work done lately, which is nice. It'd be nicer if there always wasn't a crap-ton more work lurking in the shadows, but such is life. I need to get my arse in gear and get some work done on our current house, as I still want to replace the vanity tops in both bathrooms, and texture and paint the guest bedroom. We're scheduled to close on the new house on July 14th, so I'll be able to get cranking there in the very near future. Not really looking forward to refinishing about 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood floors, but, again, such is life.

No comments: