Friday, March 30, 2007

And the Wheels on the Bus Go 'Round and 'Round

The day job has managed to take a bit of an odd turn, as I'm still working full-time at my trusty old monkey job, but I've started doing contract SEO work for the marketing department, through my side business, completely separate from my day job duties.

The original plan was to modify my job description so that I could split time between my current job and marketing, but there were too many hoops and red tape to cut through, so it was simpler logistically for me to do the SEO work as an independent contractor, which I was more than happy to do.

The odd part is that while the contract work is essentially part-time right now, it pays about 50% more than my current job, and if the current work I'm doing bears any fruit (and there's a good chance it will, due to the woeful current state of our website from a SEO perspective), there's an option on the table to dramatically increase the scope of the contract work I'm doing.

If that happens, I'd likely have to hire additional staff (other than, you know, just myself) to produce the amount of content they want. If that happens, I'd hire other people I work with in the content department, as they're familiar with the product, yada yada yada.

Which brings us full circle to the beautiful corporate irony here, as far as potentially paying 50% more for work that is entirely produced by current employees, who could otherwise do the work for 50% less, except for the fact that you make it impossible due to a steadfast insistence that everything be made as insanely complicated as possible, at eash and every step.

To be fair, the above likely won't happen, as while SEO is the current shiny thing that they're throwing money at, I'm sure next week it'll be something entirely different like spinner rims for all employees or free breakfast burritos for life.

1 comment:

Human Head said...

"...I'm sure next week it'll be something entirely different like spinner rims for all employees or free breakfast burritos for life."

That seems a bit lavish (at least at my monkey pen.)

I hear it used to be lavish, but that's before I got there and everything began immediately trending downwards.

How about a re-branded stress ball and a coupon for a dollar off a burrito if you get this completely unrealistic project finished before the completely idiotic deadline?