Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Boredom

So yeah, I'm at work and bored. Deal with it.

Random thoughts rolling around in my head:

1) Holy crap. I'm getting married in a little over two months.

2) I wonder how difficult it would be to get an AI poker bot up and running that could play unnoticed on sites like Party, Paradise, etc. Not so much to make money but to build a massive PokerTracker database without actually playing the hands yourself. It shouldn't be too hard to program a super-tight, solid bot that would basically break even, but harvest valuable data about the play of other players. So the point isn't to make money, but to build up a database that would allow you to target profitable opportunities. Hell, you could likely even sell access to such a database to other online players.

3) I'm finding I play better when I'm multi-tabling, especially at lower limits. I can pretty comfortably handle 3 tables and it keeps my sometimes impatient nature in check. I'm avoiding playing junk like K T o in early position like I sometimes would in the past, out of sheer boredom and wanting to play a hand, after folding for fifteen minutes. Multi-tabling also led me to be more straightforward and less prone to the sometimes dangerous fancy play (slow-playing a set when there's flush or straight potential, etc). I think it's better to just jam chips in when you have a hand at lower limits and that's much easier for me to do when multi-tabling.

4) It's interesting the common threads you find on poker blogs. Not surprising, as most people blogging about poker aren't professional players, but there's an interesting tension between all of the cumulative desire of poker bloggers and the reality. I'd wager the vast majority of us want to be sitting at the final table of the WSOP every year, but, by the very nature of keeping an active blog, are likely precluded from ever realizing that dream. I know that sounds pessimistic, but I really don't mean it to be. Some poker bloggers will make it, will build a bankroll slowly, move up in limits, move to Vegas, and find themselves at some point down the road making a very nice living from playing poker. But most of us won't.

5) I have a gigantic circle of crushed styrofoam in my backyard that needs to become a turtle pond. This is what happens when you buy a house that comes with a 21' aboveground swimming pool, which you finally get hauled off, only to discover that the ground it rested on was prepared first with a 3" layer of styrofoam.

No comments: