Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Just a Poker Whore

So I'm thinking of cashing out of Paradise and continuing to do the bonus whore circuit. I may wait, though, and see if I can build the bankroll up to $500, so I can take maximum advantage of some bonuses. This may run slightly contrary to popular opinion, but I think the Paradise SnGs and MTT are much, much softer than the Party ones. So I'm slightly inclined to hang around for a bit longer, and see if I can ride the SnG horse for awhile longer.

I need to buckle down and improve my limit ring game. I normally play five or six-handed $1/2 or $2/4 to clear the bonuses, just because I'm impatient and want to get in as many raked hands as quickly as possible. And I'm decent enough but I know I'm leaving some money on the table. It's odd, as I'm completely capable of turning on the aggression in NL games, taking control of tables, firing away with nothing, etc. But I tend to clam up in limit ring games, and suddenly become unable to fire chips into a pot when I likely don't have the best of it, unwilling to keep doing so to the river. Logically I know it's a good play, but I turtle up and start playing weak tight, especially if I have a few bad beats early in the session.

Nothing much happened yesterday poker-wise. I played a $20 SnG, bubbled out in 4th. I just didn't get cards, was short-stack when it went to 4 handed, and pushed all in with 99. The BB (who was largest stack) called with Q4 o. Flop comes 10 10 4, turn is a K, river is a K. I lose to two pair, Q high. For some reason that particular beat (when the board pairs twice and it suddenly reverts to kickers) always sticks in my craw.

Played a little $10 NL and was bored, ended up pushing all-in with TPTK and lost to a guy slow-playing AA. It was one of those sessions where I knew I would end up out $10 within a few minutes of sitting down. I just wasn't in a mood to grind, wasn't really in a mood to play poker, and rambled and gambled with the first decent cards I saw. Such is life.

No comments: