Monday, August 16, 2004

Came across a couple of bad-ass strategy guides to SnGs today while wasting time at work:

SnG Strategy at Last! by F Train

Poker Nerd's SnG Strategy

Can't say I have a ton to add to either of those. I'd be a little more cautious about some of the late position raises that are advocated, especially if you have a larger stack. It's a good play, but I don't think you can necessarily fire out with ATC. The problem isn't firing out but is subsequently trying to get away from hitting part, but not all, of the flop when you're called. It's easy to muck it when you're re-raised after firing with 8 4, but a lot harder to muck when you're called and the flop comes 9 8 2. Or at least it is for me.

The only other thing I'd add is to be careful after you take in a big pot and get good (but not great) cards immediately after. I've gotten burned too many times limping in with K J o, feeling flush with money. The problem isn't the limp itself, but calling if there's a subsequent raise (again, feeling flush with money and saying Oh, what the hell) and then continuing too far into the hand if you have any possibilities whatsoever. Again, not a problem for more disciplined monkeys than myself, but too many times I let a big pot on the previous hand negatively affect my play for a hand or two immediately after, before I completely come to my senses.

No comments: