Sunday, June 04, 2006

Luck

luck
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lucke, from Middle Dutch luc, short for gheluc.

1: A fictional creation used to explain random events when a rational explanation is lacking. Man, I'm so unlucky that a meteorite hit a plane on entering the atmosphere, knocking a hole in its fuselage just big enough to suck a midget acrobat out, who crashed through my roof and smashed the television, just as I was sitting down to watch Lost.

2: A misapplication and/or misunderstanding of mathematics. Man, I was flipping a quarter yesterday and some guy in a clown suit wandered into my living room and told me he'd give me $73 and a blowjob if I could flip heads eighteen times in a row, and I was sooooooo lucky, and flipped heads eighteen times in a row! The odds of that happening are astronomical so I must be the luckiest human on earth!

3: A psychological coping mechanism, most often invoked when facing adversity or setbacks. I guess if there were no luck, I’d win every one.

2 comments:

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Yep. Though I'm left to wonder what's so lucky about getting a blowjob from a guy in a clown suit.

Clown's are scary.

But I'm with you on the Math/Psychology axis.

kurokitty said...

Yeah, umm, that clown reference was a little too much information for me, too.

Add to 3? "It's better to be lucky than good." Isn't it, toasters, isn't it?